RSS

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Salsa's Mexican Grill

Location: Level 1, Food Court at Doncaster Westfield Shopping Centre
Phone: 03 9840 7765
Time:Close to Dinner Time
Cuisine Type: Mexican Food
Price: anywhere between $8-15

What got dished out
:

My friend and I tried the Nachos (mind you this was our second time we had this).
The great thing about this, even though I'm never a fan of Food Court food, was that the Nacho's were FRESH and crispy and well awesomely good.
Every bite I took I could hear the "Crunch Crunch Crunch" going. I've been to a lot of places and whenever we get nachos, those bastards always serve us soggy nachos. Sure they get soggy with tomatoes and cream and other stuff, but i'm talking about even the bits that aren't covered in that stuff.

It's such a shame that good crunchy nachos exist only in a food court. and I wish more places made good nachos but they don't. Most people don't think twice about it.
The only issue I had with it, (and my friend had to point this out because i was too busy eating) was that the cheese was a tad on the cheap side.

It was pretty heavy and hardcore, and seriously once someone points it out, it becomes an issue. And it was almost eating fake cheese, fake chewy cheese actually. And thus my friend ended my love affair with the nachos from this place.
I guess if they used better cheese it wouldn't be so bad, everything else about it is FRESH and good. Just not the cheese. If I were a cow, I'd be disappointed with the cheese that got churned out (get it? never mind)

I also ordered... and NO.. not a lump of aluminum foil. That my friends happens to be a chicken burrito wrapped in foil. Don't worry, when it came out, I laughed at it.

I find burritos weird. It's kinda like in the same wrap you use for a souvalaki with small meat pieces which then reminds me of a kebab. But the difference with this is that it has rice in it.

Being Asian doesn't help because whenever you eat rice, you expect it to be cooked a certain way. Mexican rice well, just doesn't cut it for the Asian Palate and I always think "omg why is this rice so dry? this is how I cook rice, unintentionally of course and then get told off by my parents for failing at being Asian. yeh i know, what Asian person can't even cook rice, especially considering we use a rice cooker. Don't start, I already know, i get told all the time.



Excuse the eaten bits, but I thought it was best that I prove to you guys that there was indeed food inside and not just aluminum foil.
To be completely honest, this wasn't THAT great, but I've got nothing to benchmark it against. The last time I tried a burrito was from the night market at Victoria market and it was so awful I had to throw it out.
I didn't throw this out, but I didn't finish it either. all i can say is that it was ALL that appetising. It was lacking in sauce if anything.. and clearly I was playing the game of "spot the chicken" because there were hardly any chicken pieces. Had I been a vegetarian who was given this instead of the vegetarian burrito, I wouldn't have minded so much. You get the picture, lack of chicken pieces.. makes me angry.


My thoughts:
Like I've mentioned once before, I'm not that big of a fan of Food Court Food only because they only have fast food or terrible food dished out in bambourines, stuff that's been sitting there for forever and a day, which is meant to be either Chinese, Indian, japanese or whatever it is.
But when you do come across something good, you get blown away. I'm not saying this is absolutely awesome, I'm just saying, with what's out there in the average food court stuff, Salsa's is actually not bad.

But then again, Doncaster westfield is quite unique, they have a LOT of better food served in their food court, i wish shopping centres would follow suit. but they don't. and until they do.. i'm still going to feel pretty apprehensive about eating there.

The thing that made me laugh about Salsa's, was the fact that their staff had to wear
ridiculous head gear. Sure I get the whole sombrero thing happening because it is after all a Mexican themed place, but the staff looked absolutelty SILLY.But amusing nonetheless for me.

and here's a question for you, how many staff does it take to make food at Salsa's? A Lot. They had like 5 kitchen staff and 2 people serving at the counters. I'm not sure why there were so many but heck, it didn't mean you got your food any faster. You had to wait awhile for your food. Granted that it's freshly made but for a food court, it's never a good thing when people are piling around your counter waiting for their food. I mean I'd wait for the first time, but next time I'd try OTHER food that are already there, quicker made.
Salsa need to look at McDonalds. Because their burgers are fresh (okay that's disputeable but you get the point), you get it before you can blink an eyelid (okay that's exaggerated) but you get the gist, it's efficient. But Salsa is not.

I get ansty when i have to wait for food especially when I'm hungry, i get snappy, especially when i'm in a food court and I know i don't have to wait for my order because food is just there.



1 comment:

Libby said...

Salsa's isn't bad at all for food court food.

Ha, I bet they used Mainland cheese. Surprisingly, they don't melt as good as other cheeses. Even more surprisingly, Safeway's Homebrand cheese is pretty good for making nachos :)

Post a Comment