RSS

Thursday, July 8, 2010

David & Camy Noodle Restaurant

Location:590 Station St, Box Hill 3128
Phone: 03 9898 8398
Time: Dinner
Cuisine Type: Chinese
Price: Under $15

What got dished out:

We ordered Hot and Sour Soup (forgot the price sorry) assuming that it was going to be a small bowl, I know the photo doesn't help because you can't be sure if the camera's made it bigger. But trust me, you could make a full meal out of this. We had two smaller bowls and we still couldn't finish this soup off. Actually we couldn't finish it because I didn't want anymore, it wasn't that GREAT. I'm not a big fan of Hot and Sour soup, (this was my second time eating this) and this soup confirmed it. Personally I think there's something weird about hot and sour soup and I can't get my tastebud to like it.
However the soup we had was quite disappointing, it was sour but it wasn't hot (spicy wise) and it wasn't hot as in (heat wise) either.
They should have called it "sour soup"

We ordered Pan-fried Pork dumplings (around $8 bucks) and steamed beef dumplings($8 bucks), I can't remember exactly how many they give you ( I think 16 of each) but the pan fried ones were a lot nicer than the steamed ones we got.
Actually anything fried is generally a lot nicer to eat.
We didn't do the beef dumplings any justice by asking them to be steamed. I'm not sure why anyone would want steamed dumplings (I guess because it's healthier) but I thought having two fried dishes would be a tad too much to eat (and not healthy for one's heart).

For whatever reason, I came to the conclusion that it was better to steam beef then pork. I have this fear of eating raw pork, not that the restaurant would serve raw pork. Pork is actually hard to cook and if not well cooked, you can end up in all kinds of trouble (actually I'm not sure about this, but I'm not going to dispute what my mother's been telling me for years, perhaps scare tactics, i'm not sure)..

I think if we hadn't ordered the soup we would have been able to polish the lot off quite easily, however we did the best that we could. Leaving a couple left on the plate. Needless to say the dumplings were pretty awesome.


My thoughts:
It seems to operate a dumpling place in Melbourne, the prerequisite is that everything in the restaurant has to be greasy, the tables, the chairs, and the food. Whenever I go to these places, I always finding myself having to clean my bowls, my chopsticks and cringe when the plates of food come out because really, if they couldn't keep the bowls and chopsticks clean, what are the chances that my food is on a clean plate?(actually don't answer that), David and Camy's is no different.

Service is another sore point about these places. It's bad enough that you have to get their attention but you also need to get your plates, your chopsticks, your bowls and your sauces. (actually David & Camy's are a little bit better, those things are already on the table waiting for you to clean) but nonetheless I still had to get the sauces and other bowls on my own. (Whilst I'm at it, I might as well get everyone else's order too right?)

In truth, I like David and Camy's not because it's marginally cleaner than a lot of the other dumpling places that are available, the food itself is good (the dumplings), I've never eaten anything else they have (okay once i did order noodles). However it's a place I haven't frequented much of the years due to two reasons:
1. I once dated a boyfriend who LOVED dumplings and was so obsessed with it, he ordered enough to feed a village. Needless to say I ate as much as I could and was so sick of the sight of dumplings, just the thought made me want to throw up.
2. It wasn't years after that I managed to get over that nauseating feeling of the first experience, however when I was ready to tackle dumplings, I was fortunate enough to date someone who's mother made dumplings. And let me tell you, there is NOTHING better than home cooked dumplings, especially the awesome ones. I literally could eat plates and plates of her dumplings. Suffice to say, I am no longer with this person and those dumplings are no longer available to me. Thus the next best thing is David & Camy's, they're not as awesome as those home cooked dumplings I was getting but heck, they're pretty darn good.

So if I'd ever need a dumpling fix, I'd be going back to David & Camy's, I know it won't be often because I just need to get over the grease factor first.

David & Camy Noodle Restaurant on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment