RSS

Sunday, July 4, 2010

Thanh Dat


Location:22/268-274 Springvale Rd,Springvale VIC 3171
Phone:(03) 9540 3622
Time:Dinner Time
Cuisine Type:Vietnamese Cuisine
Price: Mains around the $8-$15 mark





What got dished out:
I think it's customary to go to a Vietnamese eatery to order Spring Rolls or Rice Paper rolls. I never know why I bother because every time I do , it's always without fail a massive big disappointment.

Of course the photo doesn't actually show you the true reality. These Pork Spring rolls were on the thin side, which never surprises me. They weren't overcooked. I hate it when they come out burnt. But they did come out looking about the same size as those catwalk models that prance about on the runway.
Another thing that always puzzles me is why restaurants (actually all of them) come out with a 1/4 of lettuce and some green leaf stuff (I never know what they are, sorry).
I know that you're supposed to use the lettuce to wrap up spring rolls and dip it into fish sauce but I'm not sure who started this custom because it surely ain't a Vietnamese custom. (It's not done at my house nor any other Vietnamese family I know).

What makes a good spring roll? One that's not burnt for starters and the next is one that isn't as skinny as anorexic models. Of course too much filling makes you get sick of spring rolls quickly, but too little meat makes you get sick of all the pastry and oil.

When in doubt, order Combination Egg noodle. That's my motto. It also tells you that it's my first time at the place and I'm hesitant to try anything else. I always have something as a guide and if a places stuffs it up, then everything goes downhill from there.
In all honesty, there wasn't anything wrong with the dish per se however it wasn't the most fantastic thing I'd ever eaten either.
At least the vegetables weren't soggy, that's always a good start. (Not like it matters because I don't even like eating my veggies to begin with)

However there was something a bit weird with the beef. It wasn't off but more or less it was marinated in such a way that after a couple of pieces of it, I just couldn't bring myself to eat anymore.

My thoughts:
I don't know why this place is so popular because it was pretty full when I was there. The food isn't riveting, in fact it's merely just passable. Although I'm not quite sure what all the other places are like around Springvale, it could possibly be the best place to eat (although I highly doubt it).
I've been told my many of my friends that it's an awesome place to go to because it's almost like home cooked meals. The keyword being almost. I'm not sure when the last time my friends have gone to Thanh Dat but frankly if they've gone recently and still think this but I'm sorry to say this but their home cooked meals must not be very good.
Thanh Dat is passable as an eatery but nothing as good as home cooked stuff, not even almost.

The other thing that lets Thanh Dat down is not having its own toilet. You have to walk into the shopping centre and along some walk way. Once you gety there, you come back after your toilet experience, be sure that you'd be put off wanting to eat. It's the worst public toilet I've ever had to experience in awhile. Dirty and scummy. Nice!

Personally, I wouldn't go to Thanh Dat again if I was in Springvale. This place hasn't been able to capture my imagination enough for me to want to be loyal. I'd take my chances elsewhere.



Thanh Dat on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

Libby said...

I used to love this place when I was younger but it has gone downhill :(

Also, I didn't know that the whole wrapping-spring-rolls-in-lettuce-leaves thing was NOT a Viet thing to do. Interesting...

Huy said...

I havent been back to Springvale's Thanh Dat in a while, but I remember their Com Tam Bi [Broken Rice] was great! I love the lemon grass marinate, tastes just like a home cooked meal. I've tried the Broken Rice in Vietnamese restaurants in the CBD, and my god it is terrible!

I believe the lettuce wrap is a Northern tradition because the wrapping of the spring roll around a lettuce, cucumber, corriander (ngo), and minty spices is custom that runs down my family. Not only just my family but my family friend's custom, my family family friend custom ... you get the point.

Anonymous said...

It's not just a Northern tradition, we're from the south and we do it as well.

Clearly someone just doesn't know their own customs.

Post a Comment